Skip to main content

Bethea-Welch VFW Post 7248 Ladies Auxilliary Collection

 Collection
Identifier: 137
The Bethea-Welch VFW Post 7248 Ladies Auxilliary Collection documents the day-to-day business of the club and contains lists of officers, event and meeting programs, printed materials, officer lists, awards, as well as meeting minutes and notes. Of particular note are photographs and scrapbooks documenting VFW events.

Dates

  • 1914-2004

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Extent

23 cubic feet; 15 boxes

Overview

The Bethea-Welch Ladies Auxiliary of the Post 7284 Veterans of Foreign Wars Post was an auxilliary of the first VFW post for eligible African American veterans in Washington, D.C. The collection documents the day-to-day business of the club and contains lists of officers, event and meeting programs, printed materials, officer lists, awards, as well as meeting minutes and notes. Of particular note are photographs and scrapbooks documenting VFW events.

Biographical / Historical

The Bethea-Welch Ladies Auxiliary was founded May 12, 1948, and catered to African American women who supported the predominately black Bethea-Welch VFW. In 1947, Rosaline Thompson met with Bethea-Welch Post Commander Albert T. Jones and the mothers, wives and daughters of veterans who served overseas to discuss creating a women’s auxiliary. As with the veteran’s post prior to its founding, there was not a VFW Ladies Auxiliary for black women in D.C. With 16 charter members, the Ladies Auxiliary began working with veterans, their families, area youth, local churches and orphanages. In the early 1950s, the women of Bethea-Welch were invited to join the Department of the District of Columbia Ladies Auxiliary and participate in national programs. Members collected toys for young children, visited local VA hospitals, fed homeless families during the holiday season, provided books for veterans and children, and implemented programs at area churches. Some of the most popular programs included the Book Shower for veterans, annual Sweet Day for children living in a local settlement house, Junior Girls for young women, and the Bethea-Welch marching band. Other organizations benefited from the work of Bethea-Welch including the Girl Scouts, Children’s Hospital, Police Boys and girls Club, House of Ruth and Walker Whitman Clinic.

The Bethea-Welch Post 7284 Veterans of Foreign Wars Post was founded by David D. Dixon. At the time, there was not a VFW post for eligible African American veterans in Washington, D.C. After approaching the VFW of D.C., he was allowed to launch a new post for black veterans. The post’s name was chosen in memory of Sargent Bethea, who was killed in World War I, and Captain George A. Welch, who died in action during World War II in Italy.
Title
Bethea-Welch VFW Post 7248 Ladies Auxilliary
Subtitle
An inventory of Bethea-Welch VFW Post 7248 Ladies Auxilliary at DC Public Library
Author
Finding aid prepared by DC Africana Archives Project.
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the DC Public Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1709 3rd Street NE
Washington DC 20002 USA
202-727-2272