Skip to main content

National Rifles Scrapbook Collection

 Collection
Identifier: 051
The scrapbooks contain clippings, invitations, programs, memorabilia, handwritten and typewritten letters, ledgers, receipts, meetings minutes, and a few copies of Canteen, the daily record of the National Rifles and an oversized poster for the July 4th Military Celebration in St. Louis, Missouri.

Also included is a box of cabinet card images of uniformed members of the National Rifles. Notes on the back of the photographs indicate that the images came from the Evans Collection in November 1929.

Dates

  • 1880-1889

Language of Materials

English

Extent

5 boxes

Biographical / Historical

The National Rifles, an independent company of the D.C. Militia, was organized in 1859 in the wake of John Brown’s raid. It was the first company of citizen troops ordered into the Civil War in 1861. A few years after the War, the militia disbanded or merged with other troops. The National Rifle Armory was located on G Street between 9th and 10th at the site of the current Mather Building, directly across from the MLK Library. Members of the company formed a veteran’s organization to hold annual reunions, fairs, soirees, dinners, and other events to commemorate the anniversary of their founding and military service.

Custodial History

The Scrapbooks were donated to the Washingtoniana Division in 1929 by Mr. and Mrs. Evans. This information was found in the Washingtoniana Division Daybook for November 5, 1929.
Title
National Rifles
Subtitle
An inventory of National Rifles at DC Public Library
Author
Finding aid prepared by DC Public Library.
Date
2001-02
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the DC Public Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1709 3rd Street NE
Washington DC 20002 USA
202-727-2272