Adams Morgan Better Neighborhood Conference Records/Hollyday House Papers
Records of Hollyday House include its incorporation papers, by-laws, constitution, statement of purpose, a history, newsletters, correspondence, meeting minutes (1957-1960), financial information, studies reports, photographs, publicity, clippings, and membership lists. Topics covered by the records include a neighborhood conference, desegregation, urban renewal, the Hollyday House Chorus, Barney House, the Urban Peace Corps, Church of the Brethren, and fund raising.
Language of Materials
6 linear feet; 11 boxes
Biographical / Historical
The Adams Morgan Better Neighborhood Conference and the Hollyday House were two organizations formed in the mid-1950s to combat blight, promote urban renewal, and restore community pride in the Adams Morgan area. Hollyday House was located at 2316 17th Street, N.W. and was a restored house named for Guy T.O. Hollyday, former Commissioner of the Federal Housing Administrations, to honor his advocacy of better housing. Mrs. Florence N. Cornell, longtime principal of John Q. Adams School was also prominent in both groups. She was the first executive director of Hollyday House, which began its work in November 1959.
- Adams Morgan Better Neighborhood Conference/Hollyday House
- An inventory of Adams Morgan Better Neighborhood Conference/Hollyday House at DC Public Library
- Finding aid prepared by Faye Haskins.
- Description rules
- Language of description